The latest news from Mexico
Provided by AGP"We demand, particularly from the Israeli authorities, full respect for the human rights of our fellow citizens detained in connection with the Global Sumud Flotilla. We reaffirm the need to guarantee their physical safety, dignified treatment, and immediate consular access, in compliance with international law," Foreign Minister Roberto Velasco Alvarez said in an official press release.
The two Mexican volunteers were seized by Israeli forces in broad daylight approximately 250 nautical miles from Gaza.
One of the detained activists, social psychologist Sol Gonzalez Eguia, managed to record and share a video message moments before or during the interception. "If you are watching this, Israeli occupation forces have kidnapped me in international waters. I am part of a nonviolent civilian mission sailing to break the illegal siege, deliver aid, and stand in solidarity with the people of Gaza," she said in the footage circulated across social media platforms.
The second detained Mexican national, professor and journalist Violeta Nunez, also transmitted a message to fellow flotilla passengers alerting them to the Israeli military's intervention. "My kidnapping once again shows how far the Israeli regime and its sponsors are willing to go to continue their siege and genocide. The world must rise up," she declared in her statement.
Mexico's Foreign Ministry confirmed it had established contact with the families of both activists and was coordinating with its consular network across the multiple countries from which flotilla participants originate. "We will not rest until we secure their protection and a prompt resolution," the ministry said.
Israeli forces attacked and intercepted the flotilla in international waters earlier Monday, detaining 100 activists aboard the mission. The fleet of more than 50 vessels had departed Thursday from Marmaris on Türkiye's Mediterranean coast, carrying 426 participants — including 96 Turkish activists and nationals from 39 countries, among them the U.S., Germany, France, the UK, Australia, South Africa, Brazil, and New Zealand.
This was not the first strike against the mission. Israeli forces had previously attacked the same flotilla off the Greek island of Crete on April 29.
Israel's blockade on Gaza has remained in place since 2007.
Legal Disclaimer:
EIN Presswire provides this news content "as is" without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the author above.